Monday, February 1, 2010

Size Does Matter

Hey, hey, get your mind out of the gutter!  I'm talking about clothing and latex gloves here.  First let me state the obvious.  One size does not fit all.  Such a concept, much less size category, is purely ridiculous and should not even exist.  Name one clothing item where one size can truly fit all.  You can't do it.  I'm sure of it.  Heck, one individual size (like 3 or 4 or 6 etc.) does not even always fit one single person!

So I was cleaning the bathroom last night with my "size small" lined, anti-microbial, long toilet-water-will-never-touch-me scrubby gloves and my fingers kept slipping out of the finger sleeves.  Annoying!  And that's when it occurred to me that designers of various clothing items are either deformed, narrow-minded, or just plain old garden variety stupid ... or maybe all of the above.  We have size zero clothing now.  Incidentally, a friend recently said to me that zero isn't even a size and she had a point.  I mean, zero is nothing by definition, but I digress.  So we have size zero jeans, dresses, etc.  What are these women wearing on their hands?  Do these teeny tiny women have gigantic hands on the ends of their perfectly toned arms?  How is it that some items are designed for the smaller crowd and others are not?  I may not be a size zero, but I am petite, so I have small hands.  Why oh why hath the clothing and accessory designers forsaken me?  And why can't everyone get together on some uniform size measurements?  Which brings up another age-old issue ...

Yes, it's been said millions of times before, no doubt, but here it is again.  How is it that men come in a wide variety of sizes but women's shapes can be pared down into a small handful of proportions?  Are they kidding me?!  The exact opposite seems more true.  I mean, let's face it, even the fattest guy you know probably has a small butt.  All that gut action on men mushrooms over their pants, not inside them.  And what man complains of thunder thighs?  Seriously.  Yet they get precise (well, as precise as clothing designers can seem to get) waist and inseam measurements while women get a single size that's supposed to fit the tall and the small and every variation among them.  Ludicrous!  Have you ever tried to squeeze a watermelon into a paper towel tube?  Could get tricky, no?    Sadly, the plight of the curvy female body goes largely unheard.  Of course, that doesn't mean we can't keep screaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment